pixel
 width=
l

Menu
» Information
» About us
» Projects
» Funds
» Collections
» Museum expositions
» Kyustendil and Kyustendil region
  » Kyustendil
  » Monuments of Culture in Kyustendil
    » Roman therms
    » Hissarluka Hill
    » Church "St. George"
    » Pirkova tower
    » Church “St. Mina”
  » НААР
  » Archeological objects
» Useful Links
» Contacts
» Calendar
» FAQ
» Forum




Recallproject
.



"F-M.U.S.EU.M"
.



:: holyplaces-kn ::
.



ROMAN THERMS
.

ROMAN THERMS


The Roman therms are located in the central part of the town within the immediate vicinity of the Ahmed Bey mosque.
The therms, which functioned as a public bath, were built in 2nd – 3rd centuries. They are considered to have been a part of a larger complex called asclepion.
The Pautalia therms are one of the most significant monuments from Roman times in Bulgaria. They are second in size after those in Odessos (present-day Varna). The building has a rectangular layout and a built-up area of 3000 square meters. Six premises situated on an area of 1000 square meters have been researched and exhibited.
All premises are supplied with a heating system (hypocaust). The design of the asclepion (arcado) is a vaulted system of corridors and is the only one known so far in Bulgaria. The floor and the walls of the halls have been covered with marble plates, shaped cornices and wall piers. Semicircular niches and swimming pools have been found in some of the premises.
The combination of different building techniques and architectural styles make the Pautalia therms one the most interesting monuments from the Roman period in Bulgaria. They are one of the symbols of Kyustendil.
The therms are a cultural monument of national significance.





Back Up

 



spacer
pixel

© Regional Historical Museum “Academician Yordan Ivanov”, Kyustendil - 2004-2006